Mama Alla’s Winter Borscht
- 2 large beets (peeled, and shredded)
- 4 or 5 carrots (peeled and shredded)
- several stalks of celery or parsley (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 3 potatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 head cabbage (shredded)
- 1 can whole stewed tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee the beets and carrots in olive oil.
- Boil a quart of water and put the beets and carrots in the water.
- Turn heat down to medium and add celery/parsley.
- Sautee the onion and garlic in oil.
- Add them to the soup.
- Add the potatoes and cook for several minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook for several minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for several minutes.
- Add the sugar, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Allow to cook about 10 minutes longer, or until the potatoes are tender.
Note: For best taste, serve the day after making.