Braised Spicy Cauliflower with Potatoes
Recipe from The Best of India – A Cookbook, Balraj Khanna, CollinsPublishersSanFrancisco, 1993. ISBN 0-00-255223-X
- 5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh hot green chili, seeded and thinly sliced
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled & cut into very thin slivers
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 medium cauliflower, trimmed & cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced for garnish
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add the cumin seeds and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Stir in the chili powder, ground coriander, turmeric, cauliflower, and salt, and cook, covered, 10 minutes. Gently stir in the potatoes and 1 to 2 teaspoons water to prevent the mixture from sticking. Cook, covered, 20 minutes.
To serve, sprinkle with the garam masala and garnish with the coriander and tomatoes, Serves 4.
Generally, I add sliced onion and one more potato when making this dish, in the manner below — Chris
Samir Singh’s Super Ghobi
This recipe is from my friend Samir’s family.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed (be sure to cut potatoes rather small — say 1/4 inch thick — or else they will cook much more slowly than the cauliflower)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/3 cup fresh ginger, ground
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2.5 tablespoons garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1-2 tablespoons mango powder
- Heat oil to light frying temperature.
- In a small dish, combine ginger, coriander, cayenne, garam masala and 1/4 cup water and stir it into a paste. Fry it in the oil until oil resides on side of pan.
- Add cauliflower and potatoes.
- When cooked, add mango powder and cilantro