This is a short post, as much to remind myself how I did it, of how to get vector output from Visio 2007 when you are running it under Ubuntu using wine or crossover office.
- Install Visio 2007. The instructions, summarized, are:
- Create a new blank Windows XP bottle
- Install Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 5 (SP5) into the bottle (msxml3.msi)
- Install Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0 into the bottle (msxml6.msi)
- Install Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package (dotnetfx.exe)
- Finally start the Visio 2007 install
- Create a diagram
- (Not necessary when using ps2epsi) Optional: Reset the page size to fit diagram. File -> Page Setup… -> Page Size -> Size to fit drawing contents
- Print to a PostScript printer you have defined in CUPS under linux. My HP LJ2200 is a PS printer, so it was already on the list. Select the “Print to file” box and press OK. In the file dialog that opens, name your file whatever.ps.
- Reset the bounding box of whatever.ps: ps2epsi whatever.ps. This yields whatever.epsi.
- Include whatever.epsi into Lyx or Latex and enjoy
Revised 5 December 2008: Removed line about changing page size, since ps2epsi fixes the bounding box without that step.